Plus Size Dresses: How to Choose the One That’s Right for You
So, your event night is just around the corner and you’re looking for Plus Size Dresses, but you’re dreading it because you’re having a difficult time finding a plus size dress the makes you look and feel your best. Well, dread no more because help is here.
The problem with a lot of plus size dresses is they look great on a store mannequin, catalog model, or a hanger when they’re in the store but when you get it home and put it on it just doesn’t even look like the same dress. In this article, we’ll show you how to avoid this. The key is to choose a dress that best suits your body shape and style. This information will help you do that.
It may come as a surprise to you to hear that the selection for those with curves has gotten much better over the last few years.
Nowadays it’s just a matter of finding the plus size dress that has the right cut to accentuate the lines and curves of your body.
If you use some of the tips presented here, you’ll be able to find the dress that’s perfect for you, one that will have you looking great and feeling like the star of your prom.
Since price is often one of the main factors when choosing a prom dress, we’ll start off by looking at the best cheap plus size prom dresses. While price can be important, it’s the way a dress fits that matters most. In the end, no matter if it’s an expensive dress or an inexpensive one; the way a dress fits is what makes the biggest difference.
If you’re patient in your search, you’ll be able to find a great dress at the right price and don’t worry because even though you’ll get it at a cheap price dresses that are cheap don’t always look cheap.
Before heading off to shop, you should be sure to get your proper measurements. The measurements you’ll need are your bust, your waist, and your hips. These can be acquired easily using a cloth tape measure and written down for future reference.
The way to do it is to pick the dress that the largest part of your body. This way you can have the other areas taken in and altered, so it fits correctly.
So now you’ll want to take a look in the mirror to get an idea about what body shape you have.
For those who carry the most weight in your mid-section use the tips in the following section:
- If you have narrow shoulders, you can balance it out with a shrug or wrap, and you should choose a dress with broadening, horizontal necklines.
- Choose a princess silhouette dress to take the focus away from your stomach if you’re concerned about that area.
- If you have shapely legs, accentuate them by selecting a prom dress with a hemline that is higher in the front or one that has the handkerchief style hemline.
- If you’re looking to draw attention away from your hips or tummy and to your face, neck and shoulder area wear a piece of jewelry. This could be a necklace, pendant or even earrings.
You’ll want to follow these tips to select the right prom dress for you if you’ve been blessed with a defined waist but larger hips and thighs:
- You should choose a prom dress that has a belt or sash so the emphasis is on the middle of your body.
- Use colors to your advantage. Keep in mind that if a dress is darker on the bottom and lighter on the top it will help make your body appear longer.
- To help your upper body look wider try adding a shrug or wrap to a dress with a broad horizontal neckline style.
- Draw attention up toward your face, neck, and shoulders with a nice piece of jewelry.
If your three measurements are the same or close to it without a well-defined waistline then you’ll want to select a plus size dress that defines your waist:
- To create the illusion of a small, more defined waist, you’ll want to select a prom dress that has a sash, belt, or a fitted bodice around the waist.
- To tease with your curves, your choice should be an empire line dress. This will draw the attention to the upper body area.
- Determine your goal is to emphasize your hips, thighs or your legs, then you should put a fitted bodice top together with a skirt.
If your tummy is an area you want to divert attention away from then the following tips will help you do it:
- If you’re looking to make your stomach area appear smaller one of the easiest ways to do it is to wear body shaping underwear.
- Make an empire like dress your selection. It will divert attention to your upper body and also skim your tummy area.
- You could also choose a dress with an A-line style. This style will be flattering if you choose one that has a fitted bodice, as this will emphasize your waist and create curves.
The most important thing to keep in mind when selecting plus size dresses, or any dress for that matter, is to choose something that you’ll feel comfortable wearing.
If your taste in clothing is not to show much flesh, then choose yourself a modest dress that has sheer sleeves. If you’re not a huge fan of full-length dresses, then just go for a shorter cocktail-style prom dress. You can always add a shawl or shrug to complete a more formal look.
So there you have it. I hope I’ve given you enough good ideas to help you go out and find the right plus size prom dress for you.
As you search just remember the most important thing is to find a dress that makes you feel good wearing it. With the help of this information.
I hope you’re able to find a few plus size dresses that you can choose from, so your Prom Night is as special and memorable as you’re hoping it will be.